Friday, November 11, 2011

Turkey Wreath

Here's a fun one to do with your little turkey!

What you need:
Red, green, yellow, orange, and brown construction paper
Scissors
Glue
Paper plate
Marker
Google eyes

Step 1: Get a paper plate and cut out the middle.

So far so good?
Next, cut out your turkey shape. The kids where I work were quick to point out the fact that my turkey body is very similar to a bowling pin =)

Now that you have your body, cut out your feet beak and waddle and glue on. Don't forget the eyes!

Attach your turkey to the bottom of your paper plate. DO NOT attach the turkey's head to the top of the plate...I promise it will all make sense later....just trust me on this one.

Now it's time to make the paper strips that will become the "feathers" for your gobbler.
Cut strips out of your red, green, orange, and yellow paper 1"x6" (about).  The more strips, the fuller the feathers will look. I used about 4 of each color (that's about 16 altogether...just thought I'd help you out).
Cut a slit on the top about halfway through the paper and on the bottom in the opposite direction.

Take the two slits and fit them together to form tear drop shape.

This step can be skipped if you just feel like gluing the two ends together...but you will have to hold it together til  it drys before you can put it on the turkey...and with a group of kids, this way was MUCH faster!
Okay, time to start adding your feathers! I did mine in a sort of overlapping "V" patter, but it's your project, go crazy!

Once you have all your feathers on, cut out two wings for your feathered friend. Bend the rounded side of the wing. This will be where you attach it to your turkey, and it makes it pop out.
Attach your wings, make a cute little sign for your turkey to hold, and TADA! A totally terrific turkey! Hang him on a door knob, or on the wall, it's your choice. Enjoy!


OOOHH! I almost forgot! The reason you don't attach the head of the turkey to the plate is so you can add feathers all the way around! See, I told you I knew what I was talking about! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment